Now that you’ve gone through the interview process, how do you select the best architect for you? Here are five tips to help you decide:
- Choose someone you can communicate with. You may be working closely with your architect for many months. The only way your architect will design exactly what you want and need is to be honest about your daily life, your budget and your schedule (sometimes these conversations are uncomfortable). Once you’re working together, be candid. If you don’t like what he’s drawn, let him know. It’s the only way to ensure you get exactly what you wish.
- Value chemistry. Although photos in a portfolio are important, you also want to get to know his personality. Notice how he dresses, carries himself, and communicates. Is he excited about your project? Do you like him?
- Select a listener. Thoughtful answers to your questions and note-taking are sure signs that the architect is paying attention.
- Call references. Ask past clients how the experience working with the architect was. Ask if there were any problems and how they were handled. Did the past clients feel like they were listened to? Do the past clients love their new home? Ask if the past clients would hire the architect again? All of these answers will give you a really good feel for how the architect handles customer service.
- Trust your instincts. A good architect helps create what you had in mind all along but couldn’t conceive by yourself. If you feel good about the meeting and confident that the architect can fill your needs, it sounds like a great partnership. If you see “red flags,” whether you can pinpoint them or not, perhaps you should pass on working with that architect.
Hopefully you now have all the tools you need to hire the perfect architect for you and your project.
Please don’t hesitate to call me with any other questions you may have. 1-877-828-7267